Saturday, June 12, 2010

We are back!!! by Ligia Zobolli

We are now back in the States after spending 12 wonderful days in my home country. We all had such great time in Brasil and this trip was very special to me. Being from Brasil, I was able to help the team with the language, ordering food, shopping, sightseeing, and so on. I was also able to spend 9 out of the 12 days with my parents as they came to Sao Paulo to stay with us. I am from a city called Cuiaba, close to Brasilia, and since I was not going to be able to go home after the trip, they met us in Sao Paulo. Even though my parents don't speak a word of English, they were able to communicate with the team through hand gestures and body language. let's just say it was very interesting:) I did my best to translate, but after a couple days doing all the translation my brain started to get confused and I would speak Portuguese with the girls, English with my parents and it was a mess. It got better toward the end:)Unfortunately, I did not get to see my sister this time due to work, but hopefully I will get to see her soon.

Seeing my parents after one and a half year was very remarkable to me, but going to those two high schools to run the volleyball clinics really touched me. So many things reminded me of my time growing up and going to school in Brasil. The outdoor courts in very bad shape where we had our PE classes, sharing my snacks with the kids who didn't have what to eat at home, the classrooms with broken chairs, etc, etc. After leaving the schools, all I could think of was how blessed and lucky I am to be where I am today. Going to those two schools was also an eye opener to our girls as well. I could see on their faces how shocked they were when they learned about those kids' lives. We for sure made those kids' day by just giving them attention, hugs, and love.

Brasil was great and I already miss it! Can't wait to go back! Everybody is invited to come home with me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment